Readers of this blog may not know that every month, Interfaith Space sends out a listing of interfaith events in the Bay Area. Along with the local events (also listed on the Interfaith Space Events page), we include the holy days of various traditions, and a brief reflection. If you’d like to subscribe to the monthly calendar, there are two ways to do it. Either sign up as an Interfaith Space Associate, or go to the Dada List Sign up list at www.interfaithspace.org/IS-associates.htm and sign up.
Here’s this month’s calendar:
Who is interfaith dialogue for? I had the opportunity a few weeks ago to take part in a Satsang gathering with Sr. Ishpriya of the International Satsang Association. Commenting on the challenge of interfaith relationships, she had remarked that dialogue is not just the concern of a few, a hobby for intellectuals or a special calling for some people, but a necessity for all of us living in this modern world. Some treat it as a specialized field, writing papers and books and holding conferences, but unless we learn how to learn from each other, how to appreciate the gifts that each of us has to offer, we may not survive as a human community. It is in our day-to-day lives that we are called upon to live out the values of respect and compassion that lie at the heart of true interfaith dialogue.
Congratulations to the Chung Tai Zen Center of Sunnyvale; they held a purification and consecration service for their new facility this past Sunday. Here for the ceremonies was Ven. Master Jian Deng of their parent monastery in Taiwan. In his dharma talk, he mentioned an old Chinese saying, “Keep the diversity; but aim for harmony.” That is the goal of interfaith dialogue!
May Religious Observances
- 1 Beltane or May Day (Wiccan/Pagan)
- 2 Birth Guru Arjan Dev Ji (Sikh)
- 2 Buddha Day – Visakha Puja- Buddha’s Birthday- Wesak (Buddhist)
- 2 Twelfth Day of Ridvan (Baha’i)
- 5 Cinco de Mayo
- 17 Ascension of Jesus (Eastern Christian)
- 20 Ascension of Christ (Western Christian)
- 23 Declaration of the Bab (Baha’i)
- 23 Shavuot (through May 24) (Jewish)
- 27 Pentecost (Eastern Christian)
- 27 Pentecost/Whitsunday (Western Christian)
- 29 Ascension of Baha’u’llah (Baha’i)