Frank Pastore is a talk show host in Los Angeles. A recent column raises a number of thoughtful observations on those who believe that “we are at war with Islam.” Among his comments:
- Muslims and those of other religious traditions have managed to live peaceably with one another in many times and places.
- One must let the adherents of a tradition define what it means. Criticism should be directed at the behavior of people, not at their tradition. (see Interfaith Dialogue Commandment #5)
- Who speaks for a religious tradition, especially one with no hierarchy?
- What would “victory” in a war against Islam look like? Annihilation of all Muslims? Forced conversion? Pastore pointedly asks, “Now who”s the radical?”
- “We” are not at war with Islam, because Muslims are part of our “we.”
- And finally, “of the many things it means to be an American, it certainly means that you will fight for the political right of your neighbor to be theologically wrong; “that’s the Constitution.”
- Islam Is Not The Enemy! TownHall.com